Saturday, March 15, 2014

Comments for Teachers Number 2

On February 14, 2014, Sharon Davison, a Kindergarten teacher with so much aspiration to truly teach her students, explains in her blog post "Tweets, Tweeting Via Twitter" how she enhances the learning process of her students by introducing them to the world of technology. She uses Twitter to allow her students to collaborate efficiently with students from many different schools, by allowing her students to "see what others in the world are doing today". As Sharon explains, allowing her students to blog and be involved on social media teaches them more than simply how to use technology. By connect with people globally, her students are learning how to makes connection throughout the world and actually be engaged in their learning. I responded to Sharon's blog post and informed her of how informative her blog post was.

"My name is Megan Long and I am an EDM 310 student at the University of South Alabama, and I will be following your blog over the next few months. I really enjoyed learning about the way you are incorporating social media into your teaching style. We, as teachers, can use resources, such as Twitter, to connect with other classes throughout the world. I believe that it is our responsibility to introduce our students the all the positives of social media and truly explore the benefits of these sources. When the students know that other students are going to see their work, I believe they will perform much better. Thank you for sharing! If you desire to connect with me, please follow my blog at longmeganedm310.blogspot.com, or on Twitter @meganelainelong"

I provided Sharon with my blog address along with my Twitter name, which she quickly began following me and she even told me how much she enjoyed my blog! I feel as though we, as teachers, need to research how other teachers are using different resources to teach their students. I believe that Sharon has a passion for teaching that every teacher should have!


On March 13, 2014, Mrs. Davison explained some of the exciting events that has been occurring in her classroom. She loves to teach her kindergarten class how to read, and seeing the progress of her students really excites her. She has used tools such as the iPad, Google Hangout, and AirServer in order to engage her students, and she explains how she can see how these resources assist the students with learning. For instance, her class has been studying the works by Dr. Seuss, and she uses Goggle Hangout to allow the students to connect with other kindergarten students in another state. AirServer has also been a successful resource for Sharon's classroom, because this tool allows students to "remotely access what is on [your] iPad". Sharon concludes her blog post by explaining how teaching students to read is a magical event, and she excitingly states how "Learning is for everyone. Technology gives all my students a voice".

"Sharon, this is a fantastic blog post! I truly enjoy reading about the resources you use in your classroom and I know that your students enjoy learning this way. I recently wrote a blog post about different resources that are useful in the classroom, and I should have added Google Hangouts and AirServer. I have never heard of these resources before, but I am anxious to learn more about them now that I have learned about your success with them. Also, I recently worked with a group to develop a Project Based Learning plan centered around the use of technology, and coincidentally, we chose to create our month long plan using Dr. Seuss. He is a fantastic author and students can learn important character lessons from his works. If you are interested in chacking that website out, the address in sites.google.com/site/pblplans. Please feel free to check it out and let me know what you think! Thanks for your enlightening post!"

Sharon Davison is a great example of a passionate, inspiring teacher, and I am so honored to be able to follow her blog to learn about her teaching styles. I consider Sharon to be a part of my Personal Learning Network, and I am excited to keep learning of the work she is doing in her classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment