Sunday, February 23, 2014

Blog Post 6- Personal Learning Networks

Personal Learning Network

What is a Personal Learning Network, or PLN, and how can these resources be useful for us, as teachers, in the classroom?  If you can use a resource or a person for assistance, consider this tool or resource a PLN, but these resources or consistently changing which means we need to be consistently learning. A PLN can be formed simply by using social media, such as Twitter, or by finding professional resources, such as blogs. A Personal Learning Network is very useful for beginning a career in education because I can form relationships with those who are more wise than I am. The best part about Personal Learning Networks is that they are extremely EASY!
My education professors at the University of South Alabama are extremely knowledgeable, so they will be a part of my PLN. I have connected with my EDM 310 professor (Dr. John Hadley Strange), along with my EDU 301 professor (Dr. Paige Vitulli), on twitter and I know they will be great resources for me to gain insight to the teaching field. I have recently connected with a kindergarten teacher in Vermont (Sharon Davison), who I believe will become a mentor to me while on my journey to become an educator. While doing observations at St. Luke's Episcopal School, I gained a great relationship with Cara Dube who will be another mentor of mine on my journey. What is so exciting about my Personal Learning Network is that as I meet new professors, I will be able to add them to my network.
As I stated before, Twitter is a great resource for creating a Personal Learning Network, but there are so many other resources as well! For instance, Education Possible is a wonderful board on Pinterest that provides teachers with unusual resources that are great for the classroom. Another board on Pinterest is Education To The Core where we can "find ideas for effective and efficient teaching practices" to use in our classrooms.
There are a variety of useful websites on the internet that are useful when creating Personal Learning Networks, but the exciting aspect of these networks is that they are always changing and improving. As teachers, we need to realize that we will be lifelong learners and prepare for the journey ahead!

3 comments:

  1. Megan, I completely agree that developing a PLN is super easy. I love that you ventured out and utilized applications such as Pinterest. I never would have though to use Pinterest so thanks for the idea! I believe you are off to a great start with your PLN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you. The internet has endless resources that one can utilize when establishing a PLN. Also, I love the feel of your entire blog. It has a very neat and creative look to it.

    ReplyDelete